/* */

Wednesday 4 August 2010

Zentro Garden, a bar that saved my life


| More >
Zentro Garden's outdoor tables at night, still pretty nice,
but I was really doubtful if you could see the food clearly.


Arguably the nicest drinking place in Tung Chung,
the restaurant/bar offers al fresco dinning in a garden, especially for the Tung Chung residents.


This blog entry is dedicated to Zentro Garden, a bar that is more garden-like than many so-called back yard gardens in the overcrowded Hong Kong, a bar where a wooden bridge is the centerpiece surrounded by the sound of flowing water, a bar that’s arguably the best and convenient place for residents in Tung Chung or even in Discovery Bay.

And oh, it saved my life, too. Well, more or less.
Here is the background story: Like any sensible human being, ok, maybe just devoted football fans, the Fifa World Cup means the world to me, I breathe, eat and drink football in that one and only glorious month every four years. But apparently, my family didn’t see eye to eye with me and refused to tune in the football channel. When I was left confused and desperate, Zentro Garden came into rescue. I knew a new restaurant/bar was opened earlier this year, around February, but hadn’t yet had the occasion to chill there. A quick search on the internet told me there were a big screen and plenty of flatscreen TVs showing the beautiful games.





so the owner is a fan of Brazil?
I wondered how he felt when his team’s knocked out by the Oranje.



So, one minute I was on the verge of crying, and another, I was eating Malaysian Satay (chicken, pork or beef, half dozen- $60) and deep-fried whole chicken wings (4 pcs-$50) in a comfy cushioned bar stool cheering for my team. What a sweet, sweet comeback.

However, the focus of my rather frequent visits were always the indoor bar and snacks. ( btw, I love their fish fingers -$55 and Mini Chesses Burger 4pcs- $60, perfect for late night football) And I haven’t put much thought on it’s garden seats so I promised to return and try their dinner menu and enjoy its al fresco environment later.

And today, in a melting summer day of all days, I kept my promise and I was, immediately impressed by the nice garden vibe the restaurant radiated in the golden, dying sunlight.




a glass of ice tea in a hot summer day? PERFECTO!






lovely tiny pink flowers in the garden!






palm trees and setting sun, what a wonderful view.




Only when I was done absorbing the nature, although artificial but not any less calming, I drank some iced tea and realized the place served Indian curry and grill – my favourite combo! (oh, they also have pasta, paella and salad etc.) I know, it’s hardly the best dinner idea in the hot summer, but I just couldn’t say no to spicy, aromatic lamb curry, could I? What I could do, though, is to move back to the familiar air-coned indoor bar and enjoy the smoking hot curry and grill.




Caesar salad with grilled smoked salmon ($75)
Couldn’t pass a day without a refreshing salad.





Char-grilled T-bone steak (128)
Medium-well for us, typical avoid-bloody-meat Chinese :)





The T-bone was quite big in portion, and would definitely please any meat-lover! You could smell the char very well, and even the taste of smoke. Although it looked quite burnt for a medium-well, it’s still juicy and went well with the pepper sauce. The (stir-fried? Or grilled?) potatoes were surprising sweet and crispy.




Indian lamb madras with nann bread ($98).
This dish would make you sweat just by looking at its picture!




The tender lamb cube mixed very well with the complex, tasty and very hot curry and the companying white sour sauce. The curry, though strong and may numb your taste buds for a while, it didn’t override the taste of lamb. It also goes with saffron rice which I was told, was soft, not sticky and very savour. But I was in the mood of bread so nann bread for me and it didn’t disappoint me.

I would loved to try the blueberry cheesecake and cream brulee for dessert but I was so full my belly felt like it was going to pop any minute. Well, the new football season is coming real soon, I guess I’ve got plenty of time to try all the food on the menu.


P.S, All menus are in English, but the local Cantonese-speaking servers are very hospitable, however, you might need to stand up to get their attention if you are sitting at the back or deep in the garden.



Zentro Garden
ADDRESS:8 Tung Chung Waterfront Road, Tung Chung
TEL: (852)2802 8000

HOW TO GET THERE?

It's rather easy to get there from Citygate Outlets: start from the Burberry shop on L2, take the esculator down one floor, leave the outlet to the bridge that leads to the group of private housing. Keep taking the left turn untill you passby a few real estate agencies then Tao Heung chinese restaurant where you can find an esculator going down to the ground nearby. Zentro Garden is just three blocks away.



1 comment: