/* */

Monday 5 July 2010

Before Sunset, Before Plane Arrives…


| More >
Look closer, can you spot the plane?




The Aircraft Maintenance Area of the Hong Kong International Airport is the best spot in Hong Kong to watch the sunset, or so I was told. Out of curiosity (and boredom), I went there to check whether this claim was justified. Turned out, the place didn’t just offer beautiful, golden sunsets by the sea, but also some rather close encounter with landing planes.

To get there, the easiest way is to take bus S52 at the bus terminal next to Citygate Outlets(only cost $4!). But since it’s a circle line from Yat Tung Estate-Tung Chung MTR- Airport and shares the same bus stop, do make sure to board the Airport/Aircraft Maintenance direction bus. And around 15-20 minutes later, get off at the terminal/ the last bus stop, walk back for around 200 meters and voila, the only thing between you and the setting sun was the vast ocean, (and some clouds for me :<)





Lovers embracing the sunset, how romantic….




Since it’s not the time yet and the sun was pretty much hiding behind the clouds, I decided to keep walking back along the scenic shoreline to a pier-like structure sticking out. I just thought that maybe it would be better to watch the sun over there, without expecting the most exciting 15 minutes walk I have ever had was about to drop on me…






Parking lot for planes! It’s a shame that it’s getting dark and I couldn’t take a clearer picture.


They are so close that I could literally smell the gasoline and feel the wind when they taxied by.




And all of a sudden, I heard some noise over my head and WOW!
There was a plane flying towards me?!?!



OK, so there was a runway right next to the road, to me…I didn’t know that.
Well, only if I Google-earth-ed it before, I wouldn’t get too excited and
would be more prepared to take some nicer photos….
Anyway, it’s definitely a must-go place for aviation fans and
reminds me the Kai-Tak old days...




Then, I saw a snow-capped mountain at the far end. Wait a moment.
It’s Summer time and the temperature was over 30 degree Celsius,
how on earth could there be snow over a, no offend, small hill?
Calm down, it’s just evening fog rolling in. phew.





Due to the planes flying up and down, the cloud formation over the airport was quite quirky.






And so 15 minutes passed, I found myself greeted by a small grassland and many cameras. Yes, so the pier-like thingy was where many photographers, professionals or amateurs, like to gather for the best shots.




It’s monday, 6 o’clock in the evening and
there were already 10 people getting ready for the magic hour.
I guessed “the best sunset spot” title wasn’t a bluff.



And that pier-looking structure wasn’t a pier at all.
You can’t even walk on it, it’s gated.





Anyway, enough exploration, it’s time to settle down and tried taking picture of the setting sun. I didn’t have a tripod and professional equipment with me, unlike all the other guys around me, and there were clouds all over the sun… But I still manage to get some nice shots, well, you can do so :)




beautiful sunset, the best gift in this month!



It's a memorial moment...







one really can't stop taking pictures until the sky turn totally dark.



If you plan to stay on the seashore for a long while, either to enjoy the late evening sunlight or do some reading or, like many photography enthusiasts I saw there, to take a series of pictures with different positions of the sun, different angle, colour and intensity of the light, it would be wise to bring some snacks and drinks with you. I would recommend a Subway sandwich or a piece of an Opera cake from Moccato cakeshop at Citygate. If you are very prone to insect bites, you may want to wear some insect repellent or wear long sleeves and pants as well. Before you head there, remember to check the weather forecast and sunset time here http://www.hko.gov.hk/








No comments:

Post a Comment