/* */

Tuesday 29 June 2010

Zen out in the rain at Starz Wine Bar


| More >
Yes, the beer and nachos were really nice!
but can you notice that there was a guy holding an umbrella far away?



I knew it was going to rain. I could smell the rain in the stale air. If it’s just another Sunday, not a work-free Wednesday like today, I would have stayed at home.

Yes, you hear me right. I just had a luxurious day-off on a Wednesday. Imagine not having to wake up to the alarm, imagine starting a day with a big breakfast, imagine having the entire Citygate to yourself, and no crowds! Well, if you think nothing about these, I shall remind you that everyone else was stuck in the office working.

So, no, I was not going to stay indoor because of the stupid rain. And thanks to my unshaken determination, I stumbled upon the less-seen side of the Citygate Outlets at the place least expected- a bar.



Tables of gweilos around happy hour. Nothing out of ordinary.


The said outdoor bar, Starz Wine Bar, located on the plaza, next to the cinema box office and facing the musical fountain, was where I found peace (and a full bladder) in the rain. The place was not new to me as I have been there for a few times- usually to have a quick drink and some snacks while waiting for a movie or after an exceptionally compelling movie, to let any overwhelming feeling sink in.

It’s obviously a cool place to hang out with friends as the drink list is reasonably priced and impressively diverse, even for a bar. From milk to spirits, mocktails to coffee, fruit juice to beer, cocktails to house wine, I dare say even the pickiest drinker will have no trouble placing an ordering there. I am no beer-lover, but I was told that there are beer brands not often found in local bars like Victoria Bitter and Paulaner or draught beers like Hoegaarden ($28 for 1/2 pint), Boddington as well as Blackthorn Cider (I do hope I got the names right ).

And oh, one more thing, the bar serves Earl Grey and Camomile as well! Merely the presence of English tea in a bar deserves a mention, right? In fact, the only drink I could think it may lack is Chinese herbal tea, which would be a great addition as it relieves the heat from the fries, nachos and snacks available there.

Looking for a light bite, you can get waffles, wings or cakes while sandwiches, pasta and even all day breakfast are ready to fill any huge, empty stomach. I found the Panini there very juicily satisfying and the nachos and wings are pretty up on the scale for the standard of a bar kitchen. For tea set, you can get either waffle, cake or sandwich of your choice with tea or coffee for just $35. Not sure if it's because of the Outlet location, truly a bargain for a pre-show treat.


The nachos was quite fresh and crispy. Good choice for pre-dinner snack.


Anyway, after a rather disturbing and depressing movie, I, out of habit, went there and ordered a 1/2 pint beer, while waiting for a long-time-no-see flight attendant friend of mine. It’s not yet 6 o’clock, but most of the tables were already taken?! (and I thought I was the only one who didn’t need to work?!?!) Well, honestly, the heavy rain had washed away the stuffiness and cooled down the heat. The moist breeze was indeed pretty refreshing, making it incredibly comfy for a happy hour chill out.



Cool, refreshing draught beer with nachos. What more can I ask for?



It’s usually full of shoppers hanging out in the plaza.
Look at the palm trees, see the strong wind?



If you have passed by the musical-fountain-cum-plaza before, you will have encountered the typical scene of housewives and domestic helpers with bags of grocery shopping, chit-chatting on the benches while their kids run around the fountain, laughing . The shouting, the laughter and the talking plus the usual song of the world, all come together in a ball of buzzing noise.

Here are some old pictures I took. Just to give you the basic idea of how the plaza looks like on a non-rainy days.




The crowd on a normal day.



The musical fountain which provides countless photo opportunities.
Heard that it's said to be the largest outdoor kinetic fountain in Asia, not sure if it is still now.



Opportunities such as this.



He is the youngest photographer among the photo-taking bunch.



All kids will go crazy in front of the fountain, regardless of age or gender.



Typical way how girls take on the fountain.



And boys will be boys.



The fountain is not “kids-only”, just that kids are way more braver than teenagers. Proof.


But all the hustle and bustle was nowhere to be found, now that the rain had been persisting for more than 4 hours, everyone was rushing back home for a warm dinner. When watching the world slowly went by and spacing out, suddenly I realized how strangely quiet it was. Besides the occasional laughter from the other tables, all I heard was the tranquilizing sound of rain splashing on the ground. It’s surprisingly mind-cleaning. This was the first time I was there in the rain and I found peace.





The vivid colours reflected on the puddles. Pretty magical, right?


It’s a pity that I couldn’t wait for the musical fountain show because of dinner plan or else the show of water poles and dazzling neon lights dancing to the haunting melody would have sublimated the whole quiet, zen-inspiring experience.


Here is where the musical fountain should be, I am running the light show from my memory.


But, well, you can’t ask for too much, right?


Starz Wine Bar
ADDRESS: Shop No. G10A


TEL: 21090612
REMARKS: Opening hour 11am-11pm






No comments:

Post a Comment