/* */

Wednesday 28 April 2010

Forget the Airport Express, I am going to the airport ON FOOT!


| More >
If this guy can, I can too!




I had had enough of the Spring drizzle and humid weather! I felt like if I stayed indoor for another minute, mould and fungi would grow on me. And so when I saw a little bit of the Sun this morning, I immediately fetched a bottle of water and rushed down to the jogging trail that connected Tung Chung to the Airport.

After some simple stretching and warm up exercises, let the running begins! Well, technically, the said trail started at the end of the Chek Lap Kok South Road bridge, but I would recommend you to start from the old Tuen Mun Pier as the view of cable car hanging overhead is quite a pretty scene to behold.



To get to the pier from Tung Chung MTR station: take Exit C, get in the Citygate Outlets, go up 2 floors and you will see a spacious Pacific Coffee Company and a long, wide hallway beyond, which leads to the other wing of the shopping mall. Then, go down 1 floor, pass the main glass doors and cross the bridge till the very end. You will see the pier up high on the bridge.



Although it is rather easy to find the pier, the countless discounts offered in the outlet mall is definitely a big test to your determination to exercise! If you manage to resist the temptation to go shopping instead, congratulations, you are half way to a healthy life. If you give in to it, congratulations too, as you will discover a hell lot of good bargains there.








Remember this bridge. It’s the only way you can get in and out of Chek Lap Kok on foot.





The “official” start.





The beginning part of the track was well-covered with dense shades making it perfect for a quiet walk, regardless of the weather.








I kept going and there was a detour to the ancient Kiln Park where more than 10 furnaces were unearthed in 1991 at the southern tip of the airport island. It’s the first archaeological remains of the Yuan Dynasty (AD1271-1368) ever discovered in Hong Kong. Exhibition panels were set around the small park, giving you something to read while catching your breath.






The famous Kiln from Yuan Dynasty.





And before I know, the track opened up after I went under the North Lantau Highway where the Airport Express passes.





Then, I got the sea view on one side…





and the greenery on the other.





This was not only a great place for a quick rest, but also a hot spot for Chinese White Dolphin watching. There were some more informative panels about the precious species but what caught my eyes was…





Beware. Do not get too close to the ocean while looking for dolphins.





In my opinion, another warning sign should be erected to keep runners away from the Airport Express.





There were simple work-out facilities along the track. Look closer at the metal plate, it actually teaches users how to properly use the facilities.





CNAC (Group) Tower marked the end of the track. It’s time to return home and take a hot shower :)








The entire 2km-long trail was well-maintained with red paint. In fact, the Airport Trail, the Historical Garden and the Ancient Kiln Park together cost the government $6 millions. I guess the beautiful scenery, greenery environment and recreational facilities all had a price to pay.








Here is the official map for your reference.





If you are undergoing intensive or marathon training, you need not stop where the red trail ends. I know there are pro runners who run pass the CNAC Tower, continue along the coastline on East Coast Road which leads to an oil station, a golf course, Regal Airport Hotel and then, all the way to AsiaWorldExpo. This extended route covers most of the North Eastern part of Chek Lap Kok and is approximately 17km long.





Yet, however light the traffic seems on this route, especially in the morning, runners should take extra care and keep an eye on the road at all time.

If you fancy a quick shower after working out, there are changing rooms, lockers and shower facilities at the Tung Chung Man Tung Road Sports Centre, which is right next to Ling Liang Church E Wun Secondary School on Man Tung Road.


For a truly detox and stress-relieving experience, there is a Spa in Citygate Outlets (tel: 29236060) offering different kinds of aromatherapy and treatment. A perfect way to soothe away muscle tension and refresh your mind and body.


Well, now that I discovered this gorgeous track, maybe I will make jogging a habit and even a bigger maybe, will I be fit enough to join the Hong Kong Marathon next year?!


















1 comment:

  1. I did exactly that on Saturday, starting my run from Caribbean Coast, through Man Tung Park (had a little run inside the park passed the basket ball court and the football field), then on the footbridge by Seaview Crescent crossing over to the pier, run by the waterfront park. Before I went ahead towards the bridge to Chek Lap Kok, I took a detour and ran up the little hill next to the park on a 268 steps stair case to the top and had a pleasant view of the whole new Tung Chung area. After that I ran exactly the same trail you mentioned in your blog and witnessed all the beauty you mentioned. I turned back after the old Dragon Air HQ now housing China Airlines and ran on the roadside for a bit before I was connected back to the red trail, all the way back to Caribbean Coast via the tree-lined pavements connecting the three properties. It was a nice 1.5 hour run for me. Not sure the distance though, probably a bit over 10-12K?

    ReplyDelete